Giving back to the community
The BNI Manly Group has been involved in charities for some time and we came across the Cobra and Mongoose Charity Group (CMCG) via one of our long term members. Robert Ek (Go Systems) has known Michael Symons (Principal at CMCG) for many years and got involved with donations and fund raising and thought this would be a good charity for the BNI Manly Group to get behind. Robert organised a meeting some years ago for Michael to come down to Manly and provide the group with an overview of what CMCG was up to and provide the philosophy behind it. Very rarely do you meet people as selfless as Michael.
Briefly, how BNI Manly supports this organisation:
- Direct action charity group
- Michael and the team go to the locations and work out projects which they believe will benefit people the most i.e. sanitation, water supply, schooling, accommodation, etc.
- Long term vision and constant visits to the projects.
- Projects for minority groups or for disadvantaged such as orphans etc.
- Projects in Sri-Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Ethiopia to name a few.
What has happened is that Michael has formed a relationship with our group over the years and provides an annual update on where things are at.
We have formed a friendship with Michael and any member of our group is welcome to go to the School we sponsor in the Chittagong Hill tribes of Bangladesh.
All the money donated goes to the cause. There is no administration fee or travel expenses, these are all covered by the individuals.